You have reached our Help/FAQs (Frequently asked Questions) section: You will hopefully find all the answers to your questions and solutions to your problems with our website. In case you cannot find the information you need, please feel free to contact us at the following email-address:
I don't hear anything when I press the play-button of a sound-example ().
How can I enter umlauts (ä, ö, ü) or ß into the exercises/exams fields or the vocabulary trainer?
How can I enter letters with accents (à, è, ì, ò, ù) into the input fields of the exercises and exams or the vocabulary trainer?
How can I type special letters like ñ or 'ç' into the input fields of the exercises, exams or the vocabulary trainer?
Internet Explorer: Click on 'Tools' in the menu, then choose 'Internet Options'. Click on the Security tab and press the 'Default Level'- and then the 'OK' button.
I don't hear anything when I press the Play-button of a sound-example ().1) Do you have a soundcard in your computer? If not, you won't be able to use our sound-feature.
2) Do you have a volume regulator on your laptop or loudspeakers that you use? Check on your laptop, whether it has a physical volume control (on one of the edges of your laptop). If you can find it, turn it up.
Do you have loudspeakers connected to your soundcard? Make sure they are connected properly and the volume is turned up.
3) Have you checked the software master-volume? Go to the System Tray (usually on the bottom-right of your screen) and single-click on the little loudspeaker icon. After a second, a volume-control window will open and you can increase the volume or unmute the volume.
5) You are missing a proper plugin for your browser:
Mozilla Firefox: Whenever you open a page with a sound-element in it, you should see a button "Install Missing Plugins" on top of the page. Click this button, a window will appear. Click "Next>" in this window and then agree to the Macromedia Flash Player License Agreement. Click on "Next>" one more time. The Flash plugin will be installed. Then press "Finish". If necessary, reload the page (or even restart your browser). The blue play buttons should now appear on the page.
Internet Explorer 6.0: A message box appears asking you to install the Flash-Player-8. This player is a simple application that will not take a lot of space on your harddrive or slow down your system. Click on "Install" and wait a couple of seconds until the installation is complete. That's all! You will be able to use the player immediately on our webpage (no restart of browser or entire computer will be necessary).
In case no message box appears in the first place, go to "Tools" -> "Internet Options" -> "Manage Ad-ons". Mark in the list shown the "Shockwave Flash" Object and click on "Update ActiveX" on the bottom. Then restart your Internet Explorer. Now it should work.
How can I enter umlauts (ä, ö, ü) or the ß into the exercises/exams fields or the vocabulary trainer?1) Our algorithms are very flexible and allow multiple answers, whenever an umlaut or ß are required. You can always write 'ae', 'oe', or 'ue' for 'ä', 'ö' or 'ü', respectively and avoid the ß by typing 'ss'.
2) Every input field, for which this problem is relevant has to have an umlaut button () on the right side next to it. If you click this button, the letter in front of the cursor - if it is 'a/A', 'o/O', 'u/U' or 'ss' - will convert to 'ä/Ä', 'ö/Ö', 'ü/Ü', or 'ß', respectively.
How can I enter letters with accents (à, è, ì, ò, ù) into the exercises/exams fields or the vocabulary trainer?1) Our algorithms are very flexible and allow multiple answers, whenever an accent is required. You can always omit the accent if you want to.
2) Every input field, for which this problem is relevant has to have an accent button () on the right side next to it. If you click this button, the letter in front of the cursor - if it is 'a', 'e', 'i', 'o', 'u' - will convert to 'à', 'è', 'ì', 'ò' or 'ù', respectively.
How can I write letters like ñ or ç into the input fields of the exercises or the vocabulary trainer?1) Our algorithms are very flexible and allow different answers, whenever an ñ or the ç letter are necessary. You can always omit the tilde or the little hook below the c entirely and write 'n' instead of 'ñ' and 'c' instead of 'ç'.
2) Each input field, for which this problem exists has to have an accent button on its right side (). When you click on this button, the letter in front of the cursor (if 'n' or 'c') will become 'ñ' and 'ç', respectively.